In general, online dating is considered a safe way for meeting great new friends and potential love matches. Millions of people use dating sites every day, with tens of thousands getting married as a result of meeting online.
When getting involved in online dating however (and offline for that matter), its always smart to use good sense and good practices to safeguard your personal safety. We want you to use RocknRollDating to find your ideal match, have some great experiences and have fun and healthy relationships with those that you meet through the site be they solid friendships or a lasting love.
With that in mind, weve put together a list of recommendations and tips to ensure that you protect your own safety and well being in the sometimes-uncertain world of dating.
Nothing here is intended to scare you off; its just good to proceed with a little caution, while building trust between another person.
Protect your Identity:
You wouldn't give your personal information to just anyone. Same goes double with people that you meet online: your full name, personal phone numbers or email addresses, where you work, home address, etc., is best not shared until you feel comfortable and certain that its ok to do so.
Tip: Never post any of this information in your profile.
Tip: Theres no need to give someone else your personal email address as you can communicate through RocknRollDating directly.
Be Honest / Dont mislead:
Misleading descriptions and photos that are not current can result in pissing people off. Presumably you want others to be attracted to you based on you, and not who they think you might be.
Tip: Honesty is always preferable in any relationship.
Always trust your gut:
You are not obligated to respond to other members if they make you feel uneasy or threatened in any way.
Keep the assholes at arms-length:
Remember: you are in control and should always make sure that you feel safe and comfortable. We have done our best to enable you to block other members from communicating with you, should they behave in an unacceptable manner. In addition, if another member is being overtly inappropriate, please report them to RocknRollDating.
Examples might include:
- Members sending offensive messages
- Members behaving inappropriately after meeting in person
- Spam or solicitation having nothing to do with RocknRollDating
- Fake Profiles
- Any other violation of RocknRollDating.com's policies
Meeting up in person:
Most of the time meeting someone in person is entirely safe, but you should always take a few precautions just to make sure that your safety is not compromised. We suggest the following:
- Meet in a pubic place where there are other people around.
- Tell a friend that you are meeting with someone you met online, and agree to call them after the date to let them know how everything went.
- Get as much information as possible about the other person before meeting up in person: Knowledge is power.
- Don't let anyone pick you up or meet you at your office or home until you know that you can trust him or her completely.
- When first meeting someone, if youre going to drink, please drink responsibly.
- If you have a cell phone, bring it with you.
- Never leave personal belongings or drinks unattended on a date.
- Go Dutch: on a first date consider not letting the date pay for everything some people (men in particular) might expect a favor in return.
- At the end of a first date, dont take them to your home, and dont go to theirs: If you like each other, there will be other dates, and more opportunity to get to know each other.
- If you don't wish to have another date, be honest and let them know, but be nice about it.
- As already mentioned above, always trust your gut.
Pay Attention to Red Flags
- Be wary of someone who mentions how broke they are: it could be the beginning of a scam
- Be wary of someone who appears to be unnecessarily angry or controlling.
- Be wary of someone who avoids your questions it may mean that they have something to hide
- Profiles with no photos might be an indication that a person is hiding something, or that the profile is a front for some sort of solicitation - If they don't have a photo, request a recent one before ever agreeing to meet them in person.
Now have some fun, meet some awesome people, and spice up your life!